Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
This is where we answer the most common questions members and prospective members and the public might have. It’s a good idea to cover things like who we are,what we are about, etc. Check out the frequently asked questions and answers below.
Frequently asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the Police Federation?
JCF Act.- Sect. 67 (1)
“For the purpose of enabling the Sub-Officers and Constables of the Force to consider and bring to the notice of the Commissioner of Police and the Minister all the matters affecting their general welfare and efficiency, there shall be established in accordance with the second schedule an organization to be called the Police Federation which shall act through Branch Board, Central Conferences and a Central Committee as provided in that Schedule.”
So who are we?
We are the representative body of the rank and file members of the JCF
- number in excess of eight thousand five hundred
We are the voice of the police
- heard regularly in the press and on radio and TV
- heard in the halls of government
- the steady and reassuring voice you hear
What do we do for you?
- The Federation negotiates for pay and allowances and other conditions of service
- We are consulted when regulations are made dealing with training, promotion and discipline
- Interest in a wide range of subjects which affect the police and put forward views on your behalf
- We are more than a staff association
- We are a professional body influencing not only living standards through pay and benefits, but also the development of professional standards
What are Some Of The Services We Offer?
- LEGAL ASSISTANCE/ ADVICE
a) Criminal (Obligated by law)
- MEDICAL ASSISTANCE
b) General Support
- BEREAVEMENT ASSISTANCE
b) General Support
c) Financial Assistance
- ADVICE & INTERPRETATION OF:
a) Police Regulations
b) Force Policies
- GENERAL ADVICE & ASSISTANCE
b) Personal Issues
d) Force Development
- NATIONAL LEVEL NEGOTIATIONS
a) Salary and Fringe Benefits
b) Working Conditions
- NEGOTIATION AT OTHER LEVELS
How are we structured?
- Each division, section or formation has a branch of the Federation with three separate committees
- Known as branch boards, elected by the Constables, Corporals and Sergeants respectively
- All Inspectors Islandwide constitute one branch board
- An eight man Central Committee, two from each rank elected annually, operates nationally
- Its officers (Chairman and General Secretary) are appointed by the committee members
- Served by a Secretariat located at Ocean Boulevard in Kingston